Cleavr high level product road map

Wow! It’s already been about 5 months since @ashok and I began working on taking Cleavr to the cloud. Looking at our backlog, we’ve completed just over 50 stories/issues and the progress we’ve made has been very productive and I believe Cleavr cloud beta has already passed the desktop version in terms of functionality and value delivered to users. :partly_sunny::fire:

Here is what we’ve completed thus far:

• Create a Version Control Profile and hook up your GitHub account
  • Integrate with several cloud providers: DigitalOcean, AWS, Vultr, Linode, Hetzner
  • Connect to your custom cloud provider
  • Provision a server with Ubuntu 20.04, PHP 7.2/7.3/7.4, JRE, JDK, NodeJS, MySQL, MariaDB
  • Add and manage SSH keys
  • Add and manage databases and db users
  • Add and manage cron jobs
  • Add and manage process monitors
  • Add additional services post provision
  • Stop / Start / Restart services
  • Configure PHP and nginx settings
  • Add Laravel / Alpas / WordPress / NodeJS / PHP / Static HTML sites
  • Add and manage redirects
  • Set up web apps -> from simple single server to multi-server architectures
  • Push-to-deploy
  • Deployment log
  • Add and manage custom web hooks
  • Deployment notification Slack integration
  • Create a dark mode version of Cleaver
  • Building out new front-end website (cleaver.cloud)
  • Ability to import Cleaver desktop to the cloud
  • Added this new forum
  • And I’m sure many more that I am missing :sweat_smile:

Where are we going next? We’ll likely move to open beta for Cleaver and then will work on subscriptions. But, besides the more boring operational stuff, here is what we plan on working on next for Cleaver (in a relative order with higher priorities towards the top of the list):

• Domain management (so you don’t have to go to a bunch of random places to manage smaller things such as a-records)
  • Additional WordPress and PHP configs (we want to make sure users can easily add and use popular plugins and handle common use-cases)
  • Support additional VC provider integration (namely, BitBucket and GitLab)
  • Support additional database types (PostgreSQL)
  • Additional nginx improvements
  • Add a dashboard so you can view your setups at a high level
  • Some additional TBA surprises
  • Sprinkle in many additional improvements and bug squashing

Of course, priorities may change but that’s what the plan is for the near future!

What do you think? We’d love to get your feedback so we know what is important to you, what’s not that important, and if there is anything we missed that you’d like to see.

:pray: Thank you!

4 Likes

These are some features that i wish to see in the future

• automatic patches and security updates (as option, digital ocean has this on kubernetes)
  • Server backups(use spatie laravel-backup-server )
  • Database backups
  • Custom nginx directives
  • Server monitor(probably will be in the new dashboard)
  • Server health checks Notifications(integrated with the server monitor)
  • Load Balancers
  • Cache setup
  • Custom firewall rules

I hope some of these features get to cleaver…

4 Likes

Love it! I’m sure we can accommodate most if not all of those. :wink:

2 Likes

It would be nice if Cleaver supported Docker. Even just installing docker would be a good first step. Containerized web apps would be even better.

1 Like
  • Malware Scanning (ClamAV, fail2ban, opensource and free options: www.clamav.net/ and www.imunify360.com/antivirus)
  • Self-Healing for Services.
  • Upgrade or uninstall and replace a PHP version with a newer one or older one.
  • Automated Backups to a specific Amazon S3/Wasabi cloud storage for each server/app.
  • Support Wordpress Multisite
1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions @seventhose!

Making sure that your servers and sites are protected is extremely important to us. We install fail2ban as a part of the server provisioning process. You can see the security measures we take here - https://cleaver.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360049035094-What-are-Cleaver-s-security-measures- . We have planned to increase security, firewall configurations, etc and will definitely look at your suggestions to see how we can further improve security.

We also hope our recent integration with Cloudfare and the ability to add Cloudflare SSL certs is a welcomed improvement that helps encourages good security practices.

I’ll make sure the other items are also in our backlog. As you know, WordPress multisite support is pretty high up on our to-do list. :wink:

Thanks again @seventhose for your suggestions and your support of Cleaver! :raised_hands:

—Update on road map and new subscription option—

We now have our first subscription option available! As we continue to improve Cleaver, we plan to ultimately have 3 plan tier options to choose from. The option available today will ultimately be the mid-tier option.

How will the tiers differentiate?
The mid-tier will be a pro-level tier with full access to majority of features. It will differentiate with the higher tier in that the higher tier will be more team and larger business focused. Comparing the lower tier and the mid tier, the lower tier will have a server provision cap and some of the more advanced functionality disabled. We don’t have all of the specifics between tiers ironed out, but at a high level, that’s the plan for tier differentiation.

Tell me more about the mid-level tier!
The mid-level tier allows for unlimited server provisions, sites, apps, deployments, etc. We are continuing for now to improve existing functionality and introduce new features for the mid-tier before we begin to build out the other tiers. For example, the following is pretty high on our to-do list: postgress, gitlab, bitbucket, server monitoring, enhance SSH key management, enhance env variable management, WordPress multisite, and more (most of which are on @willmkt’s wishlist in the post above).

1 Like

Hi Adam,

Without much detail, the subscription option seems relatively expensive. Can you expand upon what is provided and how long the $75 annual beta offer is open for.

Additionally, I am interested in using Cleaver for a headless Wordpress install - is this possible?

Thanks

Hi @David! Thanks for the questions and welcome to the forum!

My post above provides more details on what the plan offers. It includes unlimited server provisioning, unlimited sites, unlimited app deployments, all of the features you currently have access to in Cleaver and any future features for the mid-tier plan - which the backlog for near term include additional enhancements to current features and new features such as server monitoring, gitlab / bitbucket vc integrations. WordPress multisite support, backups, cache, firewall rules, etc.

The 50% offer will be available until July 29th.

That is possible. You’d add a fresh WordPress installation in then typically it’s a matter of adding a blank template and then going from there building out the front-end. There are some “headless” plugins you can install from the WordPress plugin library as well that can help save a step or two.

Thanks @amiedema - I’ll probably sign up for the annual plan.

Apologies, my Wordpress question was incorrectly worded, I meant decoupled (not headless) architecture where two or more servers provide separate functions (e.g. Server1 Web, Server2 DB, etc) - is this possible?

1 Like

@David

Ah! That sounds cool! I added a response here to move the discussion to a different topic. WordPress and a decoupled architecture

New release!

Env variable management just got a ton easier. You can now call the current variables, modify, and sync. There is also a new form layout view that can be used and some post sync actions, such as reload services, that can be optionally selected.

https://releases.cleaver.cloud/

Up next: a pretty huge feature that we are really excited about but will keep it a secret for now. :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

Server monitoring is coming!

Maybe impossibile, don’t know, but I think it could be really cool and could advertising your product a lot:

add integration with Local by Flywheel for WP installations on Cleaver.

We’ve released App Log Reporting for Laravel! App logs coming soon!

Up next: App Log Reporting for AdonisJS and we’ll be working on nginx cache. :call_me_hand:

Do you have an idea high on your wish list for Cleaver? Let us know, we’d love to hear about it!

I can’t believe it’s been 6 months now since beginning this thread! :scream:

Looking back at the identified road map items, we’ve made some pretty good progress.

Completed:

• :white_check_mark: Adonis 4 and 5 support
  • :white_check_mark: NuxtJS SSR and Static support
  • :white_check_mark: Flash Deployments for web-app first setup and deployment
  • :white_check_mark: GitHub Actions integration
  • :white_check_mark: Canary - verify deployments before making them live
  • :white_check_mark: Production Logs Report
  • :white_check_mark: Domain management (so you don’t have to go to a bunch of random places to manage smaller things such as a-records)
  • :white_check_mark: Support additional VC provider integration (namely, BitBucket and GitLab)
  • :white_check_mark: Support additional database types (PostgreSQL)
  • :white_check_mark: Additional nginx improvements
  • :white_check_mark: Database backups
  • :white_check_mark: File system backups
  • :white_check_mark: Server monitor(probably will be in the new dashboard)
  • :white_check_mark: Cache setup
  • :white_check_mark: Wildcard subdomain w/ SSL support

Outstanding:

• Add a dashboard so you can view your setups at a high level
  • automatic patches and security updates (as option, digital ocean has this on kubernetes)
  • Custom nginx directives
  • Server health checks Notifications(integrated with the server monitor)
  • Load Balancers
  • Custom firewall rules
  • Docker support
  • Python support
  • Upgrade or uninstall and replace a PHP version with a newer one or older one.
  • Malware Scanning

Definitely let us know what you’re looking forward to with Cleavr. We’d love to hear your thoughts on new features or if you’re looking for enhancements to existing ones. :ear:

3 Likes

If I remember correctly from the crazy steady and fast stream of updates you guys are doing that about half of these Outstanding items are already completed!?

The big one I’m waiting for is Security Updates. In the mean time, should we be just logging into our servers and doing the old: sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade as in my case I know these are a lot of outstanding updates on my server?

I also have great functions still marked as Outstanding.

Docker sounds interesting. I locally develop using Docker in an environment called Lando

Please have a look at Lando, it’s great. I’m not in anyway associated with Lando but being an non terminal pro guy Lando makes my daily developing super convenient.

Hag a nice day guys.

We have this available now :wink:

At least, under the server > services section, you can add Docker as a service.

2 Likes