Cleavr high level product road map

Yup! We have quite a few of the completed. We’re currently working on some big updates to both the back and front ends, including a dashboard.

Security updates and unattended updates are set to be applied automatically.

When you SSH into your server, Ubuntu may display messages about updating packages - but that of course may not be necessary as well as may include breaking changes. You can update but be cautious.

To see if unattended updates are outstanding, you can run the following command on the server -
sudo unattended-upgrades --dry-run --debug

Cool, thanks for the info. The upcoming changes sound awesome, though hard to believe Cleavr can get much better! :slight_smile:

Sorry, just to clarify, @amiedema did you mean security and unattended updates are already set to be applied already, or that’s set to happen soon?

I thought I should check because while I only SSH into my server on occasion the number in the intro messaging continues to grow over the past couple of months.

113 updates can be installed immediately.
25 of these updates are security updates.

@onetrev - that should be the case but let me know if you’d like me to check your server to see if something isn’t setup correctly.

No rush at all, but yes @amiedema if you could please take a look at my server to check the security updates are running as they should, as it does seem there is a chance there is an issue. Thank you!

Cool! I’ll try to take a look sometime tomorrow and will PM or email you what I find.

@amiedema i hope i won’t get shot for adding some suggestions.

I know you are looking into some more features regarding backup and i gave you some wishes on features from my current backup service: Dropmysite.

I also use a service called: UptimeRobot that i find very helpful. Is there any chance you have the possibility to offer this kind of service i couldn’t be happier.

I also understand that adding More Canary locations is not that easy and probably quite costly. But if you see the financial aspect the biggest hurdle i have a bunch of developer that probably would be very interested in Finland that might be willingly to co found this (including my self of course)

Best regards from Sweden

1 Like

@onetrev - we believe we know what the situation is. We take care of the core system updates via unattended, which makes OS level security updates automatically; but we don’t automatically update installed packages, which may also be marked as security related, as that can lead to unintended downtime and undesired updates.

We plan on adding some functionality similar to UptimeRobot. Though, of course, we won’t like be as full featured as a dedicated service would be. What are your favorite parts? website monitoring? Status page?

1 Like

Ah, okay that makes perfect sense. Just good to know core OS security updates are occurring. And then I guess it’s up to the user to decide if they want to update all packages. Thanks!

1 Like

Any thoughts on this @amiedema

I’m sure we’ll have more servers available in the future but am curious about the developer friends. What are they looking for? Are they looking for something like Cleavr with Canary to ping their site from Finland (or even preferably from within Sweden) or are they looking for a tool like UptimeRobot, except also closer to their physical location?

Well, my “friends” (bad choice of word, sorry) are actually developers and resellers that are members in Loopia’s private FB group The Loopia Reseller Lounge.

Many of them only work with PHP using like Wordpress or Laravel but i know that one of Loopia’s biggest issue is that they don’t support Node.js so many resellers stick with PHP even if they wanted to offer their customers Node.js sites.

This means that many of Loopia’s customers/ resellers are looking for other places to put only their site with an DNS A record to a server that they can run Node.js applications on.

Of course this is not an “end of the world problem” but i know that many like my self want a service like Cleavr to have a safe, easy and flexible non terminal solution to be able to offer Loopia’s customers Node.js sites.

Loopia has been Swedens biggest hosting provider for a long time and the have grown. This is Google translated text from Computersweden (2019-07-31) so it will certainly have bad grammar and what not:

"Major investment Loopia has bought Binero’s web hosting operations in Sweden and Germany for SEK 380 million, and now controls a large part of the Swedish market for domains and web hosting.

Earlier in the year, Loopia Group acted aggressively through the acquisition of .SE Direkt with 116,000 domain names in Sweden on 12 February and of Websupport, which is the largest web hosting provider in Slovakia, on 31 March. And Active24 already has operations in the Czech Republic and Spain.

And now, in the middle of the holiday, Västerås-based Loopia took the opportunity to make another acquisition. And also this time, the company’s owner, the venture capital company Axcel, chose to act within Sweden and that by buying the competitor Binero’s operations in web hosting and domain names in the form of subscriptions aimed at small and medium-sized companies and private individuals. The price tag landed at SEK 380 million."

I can imagine there are a lot of both developers in The Loopia Reseller Lounge and also Loopia customers that build their own sites that would be interested in a service like Cleavr. I used Plesk in a very complicated way to be able to run my customers Node.js sites but i’m not looking to present a hosting system with mail accounts and domain handling and what not to Loopia since that their own prime business. I want to give their customers a possibility to solve this like i do, managing Node.js sites with an external service that not forces me to do most stuff in the terminal and with no “build in features”.

I just think Cleavr is the “goto service” for Node.js and adding more features would make it easier to promote. And if services would have a “I’m in Sweden” type of way of handling for example Canary ping it would be awesome.

I know that after all expansions Loopia have their hands full with migrations and other technical stuff so producing a function to be able to offer Node.js support directly in their service will probably not happen for years.

Thanks for the additional info!

We’ll be expanding our Canary ‘pings’ and add some additional features I’m sure they’ll like.

I see Loopia offers VPS services - which means a customer could use a Loopia VPS with Cleavr as a custom server, as long as Ubuntu is installed.

1 Like

You are right @amiedema , this means Loopia and you might could have some type of collaboration like “Use Cleaver with our VPS and get a discount.”

Just a thought

P.S
I’m just a developer so if this suggestion in any way is bad please don’t get mad at me.
I’m doing this for Cleavr and not Loopia.

1 Like