Take control of installed services

When Cleaver provisions a server for you, in addition to services (environments) that you opt to have installed (PHP, JRE, db, etc), Cleaver also installs other standard services as a part of the provisioning process.

The Services tab under your server is where you can find the list of installed services as well as additional services that you may choose to install on your server.

How the services section helps you!

1. If you forgot to install a dependency for your website or app during initial provision, you can install the required service here

2. Stop / Start / Refresh a service - if you’ve seen the IT Crowd, or just have been in IT for a minute, you know the power of turning it off and on again. If you need to stop / start / refresh a service for whatever reason, this is the place to do it. Such as, nginx can be finnicky sometimes and a good ol’ refresh of nginx often solves hiccups.

3. Set advanced configurations for PHP and nginx. PHP defaults are pretty low and oftentimes, you need to pump up the juice a bit to get things done. You can increase default configs by click on the wrench icon for a service.

Up next for services, we’ll add more config capabilities for services and add some additional advanced settings for nginx.

If there is anything else you’d expect to see from the services section, let us know here! :hear_with_hearing_aid:

1 Like

Hello @amiedema How to remove unused installed services? I have initially installed PHP 7.4, but then I install 7.2 just to test something, and stopped it after that. How to remove that PHP 7.2 from the installed services list?

We don’t currently have a way to uninstall services from Cleaver. Though, that is something we’re considering.

Hi there, I got a problem with the Node services.
I set up a custom server linking to my already existing EC2 instance, and when provisioning all services got installed properly with the exception of Node.

Both services have no control buttons, and on top of it, I cannot seem to launch any app since npm and pm2 appear to be missing.

I tried logging in through ssh to the cleavr user, and I installed nvm by myself, and although I have now access to npm and pm2 through console commands, I’m still getting errors when deploying saying they’re still unknown commands.

Maybe while provisioning I understood that I’d be able to decide which version to use when I wanted kinda like nvm does, but in any case, Node 14 is stuck in pending and apparently npm and pm2 haven’t been installed.

Any help? :slight_smile:

Hi @lopermo, sorry about the issue.

We had originally tried using nvm - but it wasn’t playing nice with scripting… You can select env versions to install on provision. These options are under the Additional Options > environments sections. If then a site is added, such as Node, then Cleavr will look at the version identified in the user preferences section to install that version of Node as Cleavr will make sure the dependencies are installed per site type selected.

For the current Node version issue, we can make sure Node is removed from your server and we can reset the Node services for your server and then you can reinstall your preferred version. Would like us to do that?

@amiedema I appreciate the answer. I understand now.

I’d be up for you guys doing that as long as it wouldn’t interfere with a production server running already outside of Cleavr on the same EC2 Instance (under Ubuntu’s user). If you can guarantee that resetting node services won’t affect the node version used on ubuntu’s user with nvm, then go for it, you have my permission :slight_smile:

Eek. In that case… :grimacing:

If it was just a server spun up for Cleavr then I’d be for it; but I don’t want to risk messing up other stuff on the same server. :slightly_smiling_face:

Are both versions of Node running? If you do remove one or have both actively installed, I can just update the state on Cleavr’s side so it matches the server.