Plane deployment

Hi, i am trying to deploy the plane to one of my custom servers, but couldn’t manage to do it. Does anyone have tried it before? and if its possible can you guys guide me how to do it? Self Hosting | Plane

Hello @Lynx,

Plane self hosting documentation is quite straight forward if you want to use containerized NGINX that they provide. But with this approach you’ll have to invest some time on enabling SSL the Docker way.

If you want to do it Cleavr way, here are a few steps that might help you setting up Plane using Cleavr:

1. Create two sites with Generic Port App as app type. You can enable SSL while creating the sites or after post site creation.
    a) First site: api.plane.com (API) with port 8000
    b) Second site: web.plane.com (Frontend) with port 3000

2. Open docker-compose-hub.yml file and make the following changes:
    a) Comment out the reverse proxy service.

# Comment this if you already have a reverse proxy running
     # plane-proxy:
     #      container_name: planeproxy
     #       depends_on:
     #               - plane-web
     #               - plane-api

b) Expose ports for API and Web services.

plane-web:
                container_name: planefrontend
                ports:
                        - 3000:3000

plane-api:
                container_name: planebackend
                ports:
                        - 8000:8000
  1. Update .env file with the following URL changes.
NEXT_PUBLIC_API_BASE_URL=https://api.plane.com
WEB_URL=https://web.plane.com
  1. You can now Bootstrap or Restart Plane with Docker Compose.
1 Like

@anish I had an issue with the SSL while i was dealing with this, tried nginx proxy manager, then just gave up :smiley: Will definitely try it again and let you know soon!

It’s a great place to find answers and share experiences. I had a similar challenge when I first tried to deploy a plane to a custom server. What worked for me was integrating an improved business process management system into my setup. I used online tasks management software to streamline the process. It made everything much smoother.

I haven’t specifically worked with plane deployment, but I’ve used improved business process management systems in the past. It often involves setting up and configuring various software components, which can be a bit tricky. First things first, you might want to look into some task management software to keep everything organized. For server provisioning, it’s essential to make sure your custom server meets the requirements for the plane deployment. Once that’s sorted, you can start by installing any necessary dependencies and configuring the server settings accordingly.

1 Like

Deploying Plane to a custom server can be a bit of a challenge, but with the right approach, you can get it up and running smoothly. Have you checked out any deployment guides or documentation provided by Plane? Often, these resources can provide step-by-step instructions tailored to your specific setup.
Another option is to use project management software for nonprofits to help streamline the deployment process. It offers features that can assist with server provisioning and management, making it easier for you to deploy and manage your Plane instance.