Open LiteSpeed Support and NGINX Cache plugins

Will you support Open LiteSpeed?

Weā€™ll keep an eye on it. Though, my concern is that Iā€™ve only seen these two articles - one from LiteSpeed and the other is called out for biases and inflated results in the commentsā€¦

But:

Ā« TechNomadAlex March 3, 2020

Ok, Iā€™ve found out now that OpenLiteSpeedā€™s great performance is based mainly on the built-in LiteSpeed Cache module. You can achieve similar results using Nginx + FastCGI caching. But OpenLitesSpeed has still an advantage over Nginx: there are no pre configured apps/setups for WordPress using Nginx and FastCGI. It seems to be a huge pain in the as* to achieve same results as using the DigitalOceanā€™s pre built Openlitespeed droplet. Also there are currently no plugins available to purge automatically the FastCGI cache, which can keep up with the functionality of the LiteSpeed Cache WordPress Plugin offers.Ā»

Thatā€™s where Cleavr comes in :wink:

DO may not include in their 1-click install, but NGINX comes default with Cleavrā€™s 1-click install and enabling FastCGI is only one extra click.

As the saying goes, ā€œthereā€™s a plugin for that.ā€ :grin:

I havenā€™t tried the above plugin, but came up quickly when googling FastCGI cache management for WordPress.

Also, tbh, seeing that OpenLiteSpeed would be a replacement web server for NGINX, we wonā€™t likely support it as we use NGINX as a standard across all our supported apps and itā€™s pretty solid, efficient, and speedy web server as is.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been trying out FastCGI caching with my WP install and realised I also needed automatic cache clearing for when pages and such are updated. @amiedema I looked at that plugin, but Iā€™d like to add to this thread for those coming along later that this might be a better option, it has a large and active community behind it and a lot of installs. Additionally, it has a lot of options to fine tune what you want cleared and why.

2 Likes

Actually having tested thoroughly both Nginx Helper and Cache control by Cacholong, Iā€™m not a huge fan of either. The former for me at least really caused pages to save very slowly (2-6 seconds instead of near instant without it) and on one of my two test sites totally stopped clearing the cache altogether.
The latter plugin I gave up on quickly because of the promo link that never goes away in your WP admin notification area.

But this plugin, Nginx Cache, looks to be very simple and solid:

Nginx Cache ā€“ WordPress plugin | WordPress.org

I need assistance on it though please. It requires this setting below, and looking through the Nginx setup on my server I still havenā€™t been able to figure it outā€¦

Entre the absolute path to the location of the cache zone, specified in the Nginx fastcgi_cache_path or proxy_cache_path directive

fastcgi_cache_path should be like /opt/cleavr/nginx/<site name>

I believe that is what it is asking for. Let us know how you like the NGINX Cache plugin!

1 Like

Thanks, yes thatā€™s exactly what I needed. And best of all it works perfectly!!

There are absolutely no lag / slowness issues issues with Nginx Cache plugin, and plugin admin is super clean and simple. So, I would say if you want to document it somewhere this one might be the best first choice for Cleavr users who just want cache clearing to work. It might save someone the hour or two I spent testing. :upside_down_face:

On that note, this threadā€™s topic changed from the title subject of LiteSpeed to caching, but hopefully users will still find their way here.

2 Likes

Hey @onetrev -

Just wanted to let you know, we forked the NGINX Cache plugin to make it work a little better for Cleavr. For instance, you can add in the clear cache trigger hook instead of adding the path to the cache.

Also, there is a downside to the NGINX Cache plugin which is that it doesnā€™t work for sites not assigned to the ā€˜cleavrā€™ server user name. This is more-so due to how NGINX creates and assigns ownership to cache files and so is more of a limitation due to NGINX.

Luckily, using the trigger hook we are able to get around that limitation so it works for sites assigned to server users other than cleavr.

The plugin is now available on WordPressā€™ plugin library at https://wordpress.org/plugins/cleavr-clear-cache/.

If you use it, let us know what you think in New Cleavr WordPress Cache Clear Plugin!

2 Likes

I clicked from Google and hope you accept a few questions. First is about your new WP plugin will it clear single URL or clear all the FastCGI cache only? (or will you add the feature). Sorry to ask here if not allowed I can ask on Wordpressā€“org.

Next is that same as you guys I found some of ā€œfakeā€ Litespeed benchmarks on different blogs and social media they disabled FastCGI cache to make Nginx look very slow (bullsh*t).

And, the same guy with fake benchmarks is slower than Nginxā€“
https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/comments/pjrsvi/litespeed_vs_slickstack_speed_comparison_with/

And did you test SlickStack script for Nginx +WordPress, what do you think can you support the script, they do not have any panel like Cleavr/Runcloud. Or is that impossible for your Bitnami container, do you use Bitnami because I see you talking about /opt/cleavr directory in this pageā€¦ or thatsā€™ Docker

Hello @bae23 and welcome to the forum!

Thatā€™s cool! Hopefully, this means our SEO is improving! :smiley:

It will clear all of the cache for the given site but will not clear cache for other sites hosted on the same server.

LOL - yea, I noticed they tend to mention that towards the end of their comparisonsā€¦

We do not use bitnami or Docker; though, we do have a service to install Docker if a user would like it have it on their server.

Iā€™ve never used SlickStack before and Iā€™m not sure how well it would work with Cleavrā€™s default WP setup tbh. Might work great or not at allā€¦ :man_shrugging:

If youā€™d like to play around with it and need additional trial time, let me know and we can provide more trial time if you let us know your findings. :wink:

Hi @bae23,
I checked the modules from SlickStack and it looks to me just like another LEMP stack for WordPress. I tried some of them, including Wordops and Easyenigine. For most WordPress websites they perform on the same level.
For performance itā€™s more efficient to use the right VPS provider and the right themes/plugins. If you use a good page cache, your base should be good on all of these LEMP stacks.

I use Cleavr for WordPress hosting because this panel becomes more powerful every month. And because Adam is a very nice guy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Okay thank you but what is /opt/ do you run the custom container? why not Linux directory?

Yes I do agree 100% mostly LEMP stacks are good speed. The problem is not install (easy) but daily and monthly maintenance, is the benefit for thoseā€” SlickStack, Webinoly, or more.

For SlickStack automatic security headers, auto-SSL renew, auto-junk cleaning crons. And included FastCGI cache so no cache plugin required (and Webinoly also).

I think if Cleaver can support those LEMP script for WP you can get a lot of customers :smiley:

/opt is part of the standard unix file hierarchy and is meant for add-on software packages - in which, a bitnami or docker container may be present here.

I suppose we could have chosen to map cache to /var/cache, which is also a common location to store the cache.

1 Like

That is what Cleavr is :smiley: no script needed. I run more than 100 WP sites on servers with Cleavr

3 Likes

I know, but many platforms like this (Runcloud, ServerPilot, etc). None of them supporting open source stacks that have any transparency or portable code. Maybe Cleavr can consider.

Why do you choose? WordPress. You can just use Wix or Shopify, is the same idea also.

Sorry, that makes no sense to me :wink: Cleavr is using open source projects, you decide which package you use. Cleavr is just a management console with some configuration files. And WordPress (self-hosted) is open source as well.

100 WP Sites?
Whatā€™s your server configuration? More than 1 ?