How to provision a server and install WordPress in a couple of clicks

WordPress is everywhere. It’s said to be used by over 20% of active websites.

With Cleaver, it is super easy to provision a WordPress server in one click, and then install Wordpress with another click.

Check out this video which shows off those couple of clicks to get WordPress up-and-running quickly.

Follow along with these steps:

Prereqs -

Create your Cleaver account and add a VPS profile (in the video, we use Hetzner. But, you can also use AWS, DigitalOcean, Vultr, Linode, or setup another provider using custom server)

Click on Add Server

On the new server page, you can scroll all the way down and select provision to get started quickly. However, you can also spend time deciding which server option to use or which environments you want to install on your server.

The beauty of Cleaver is that you don’t need to worry about installing all of your environment dependencies now. if you don’t know what PHP version or database type to select; don’t worry about it! Let Cleaver take over and it’ll set you up with what you need to get going.

In this video, I select the option to enable server monitoring and then click on provision.

The provisioning process will take around 5 minutes to complete and you will receive an email once done.

Once provision is complete, click into the newly provisioned server.

Click on WordPress to install the WordPress site

If you have a domain you’d like to use, which you likely do, you’ll need to make sure you have the DNS record pointing to the newly provisioned server. We’ll show you how to do that in another tutorial. In this example, we’ll select the option to use a free Cleaver testing domain.

I’m also going to enable FastCGI cache. Which, I encourage you to use this option as well because it helps your WordPress site load in lightning speeds. :zap:

You also have the option to customize the database name, user, and password. You may never need to access your WordPress database directly, so you may never actually use this information. However, it is important to jot this information down and safely store for your records. Especially, the database password as the password will not be available to view again in Cleaver.

Now that we have enabled free testing domain and FastCGI, let’s select Add to install our new WordPress site.

The WordPress site will take about another 5 minutes to complete. This is mainly due to that, in this step, Cleaver will install PHP 7.4 and MySQL 8.0 on your server. Subsequent WordPress installs will only take a few seconds when being installed on a server where WordPress has already been installed on.

If you’d like to use a different version of PHP or MySQL (or, even use MariaDB instead of MySQL), then, before installing WordPress, go to the services tab in Cleaver for your server and then install the version of PHP and MySQL / MariaDB that you want. If a version of PHP or database already exists on the server, then Cleaver will use what is already existing.

Once WordPress has finished being installed, you can then click on the pop-out icon to view the WordPress setup screen!

One last thing, if you recall, we enabled Server Monitoring. Let’s take a look at that to see what the activity on the server looked like while we were installing WordPress on it.

1 Like

In this video, I show off the authentication feature to add an auth-wall to your domain - which is awesome for in-progress sites.

I also show off the FastCGI cache feature that is available for PHP sites, including WordPress.